After 240 years, the monumental statue of Hercules, is back to its original location in the Gardens of the Royal Palace in Venaria Reale.After an accurate restoration, the sponsor Consulta, enlisted Crown Fine Art Turin to transport the great marble sculpture back to the Gardens and install it.
The artist Bernardo Falconi executed the statue of Hercules in 1670 to decorate the main fountain in the Royal Palace gardens. During the 18th Century, the cultural taste changed and most of the statues, busts, vases and Hercules were progressively dismantled or demolished.
The statue of Hercules was handed over to the Counts of Melina di Capriglio, an aristocratic family close to the Court and located in the garden of their villa in the hills near Turin until the 20th Century. Around 1960, seriously damaged, the sculpture was transferred to Palazzo Madama Museum in Turin and stored until 2015.
Today, after 240 years, the restored Hercules is back home.
The challenge was rotating the sculpture from the horizontal to vertical position without touching the ground. As the video shows, Crown managed this challenge successfully.
The statue of Hercules:
- Marble sculpture
- Artist: Bernardo Falconi
- Date: 1670
- Dimensions: height cm 323 x 120 x 90
- Weight: 4 tons